For clients who need a faster route to a market-ready process or product in the chemical or green
technology industries, MATRIC is a contract research and development organization that provides the
full range of commercialization capability. We offer proven experience in process development and scale-up,
highly qualified experts and facilities, with a customer-centric approach and a clear market focus.
Read about some of our recent successes
Scientists and engineers in the Chemical and Environmental Technologies business area possess a broad range of technical capabilities in industrial R&D, ranging from fundamental research to highly applied development in both the process and product arenas. Many of their scientific contributions have changed the basis of competition in the chemical, petrochemical, and related industries. Key technical capabilities include catalysis, process chemistry, advanced separations, reaction engineering, computational/quantum chemistry, analytical science, polymer science, process safety, modeling and simulation, statistical analysis, experimental design, transport phenomena, materials of construction, process economics, and environmental technologies. These capabilities are applied to important needs, such as biomass conversion, alternative raw materials, coal gasification, more efficient chemical processes, reduced environmental impact, and new products with improved properties. MATRIC's capabilities are uniquely leveraged by assembling a highly successful multidisciplinary team approach using advanced technologies and a systems approach to process synthesis. Core competencies are summarized as follows:
Radical Process Innovation
Scale-Up and Technology Verification
Techno-Economic Assessments and Emerging Technology Evaluations
New Product Development
Environmental Expertise and Services
Safety Engineering Services
Process and Plant Improvement
Business Strategy, Technology Plans, and Market Introduction
Development of advanced separations technologies, radical process innovation, simulation, and synthesis to reduce capital and operating costs in the chemical and polymer industries
Discovery, development, scale-up, and commercial production of "best-in-class" heterogeneous and homogeneous catalysts for batch and continuous processes
Process and product pilot plant, demonstration unit scale-up, and technological verification to achieve reduced cycle times and commercial risk mitigation
MATRIC offers a full range of laboratory services for solids processing, including various types of crystallization, solid/liquid separation, including centrifugation and filtration, and vacuum and convection drying. Services include the capability for conducting laboratory and/or pilot scale precipitation, crystallization, and product recovery studies suitable for scale-up to commercial operation.
Emphasis on development of processes based on renewable raw materials
Identification and techno-economic assessments of emerging process and product technologies
MATRIC personnel have considerable experience in the design, formulation, and introduction of new commercial products.
MATRIC has broad expertise in environmental technologies, including environmental characterization experience and techniques, water treatment technologies, and processes for reducing the environmental impact of natural gas and coal production.
MATRIC offers a full suite of safety services, including reviews, analyses, incident investigation, program and plan development, modeling, audits, and training. These capabilities will help an organization reduce the risks associated with a variety of industrial and laboratory operations.
Generation of intellectual property and its leveraging to create unique value and sustainable competitive advantage
Plant operations improvement and process support, including increased yield, capacity, asset utilization, product quality, reliability, inherent safety and reduced energy usage, and lower environmental impact
Business strategy and technology plan development for successful market introduction of new products, processes, and technical services
- Process and catalyst technology for ethylene production from natural gas
- Biomass and wood-based raw materials conversion technology to important chemical building blocks and other value-added specialty products
- Advanced inorganic membrane research and separations technology with commercial applications geared to new processes and hardware for air and water purification
- Process chemistry research to enhance the yield of products using alternative raw materials and new catalysts
- Flexible manufacturing technologies for specialty chemicals
- Advanced catalytic technologies for mercury removal
- Advancements in new polymeric materials technology for highly demanding end use applications
- Development of quantum and computational chemistry tools for improved catalytic systems and for predicting the behavior of very reactive or energetic materials
- Development of process technology for next generation coal gasification for the co-production of electric power and chemicals, hydrogen, or liquid fuels
- Carbon dioxide sequestration technology development
- Process analytical chemistry